One of my favorite soups is caldo de pollo from my local Mexican restaurant. I decided several years ago to try to copy the soup and cook it myself. I put in all the ingredients I thought would make a tasty and healthy Mexican chicken soup and it turned out pretty good. It was my go-to soup to make and have for yummy leftovers. I used to make it in my slow cooker but decided to try it in my favorite appliance, my instant pot, and it turned out great!
Basic Steps to Cook Caldo de Pollo in the Instant Pot
- Place chicken breasts in the instant pot
- Add chicken broth
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes
- Chop up the peppers and add to the pot
- Chop up cilantro and add to the pot
- Add remaining ingredients
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes
- Chicken Breasts – Any type of chicken meat will work including chicken thighs or parts of a whole chicken
- Chicken Broth – Substitutions include any type of broth
- Cilantro – chopped or ran through a food processor
- Jalapeno, Anaheim and Poblano Peppers – Any type and number of peppers can be substituted depending on preference and spice
- Celery – Other fresh vegetables could be added including carrots or corn
- Enchilada Sauce – Green or Red enchilada sauce can be used
- Rotel – Canned or homemade can be used, original or mild
- Green chilis – Any amount that is preferred
- Lime Juice – fresh wedges of lime or bottled or lemon juice
- Rice – Any type of rice will work, such as white rice, jasmine rice, brown rice, long grain rice.
- Cumin – Cumin is always a good seasoning, other seasonings can be added such as black pepper, bay leaves or garlic powder
- Taco Seasoning – I used a package taco seasoning, homemade taco seasoning would be good too
- Other options: Can add other ingredients, such as salsa, black beans, hot sauce, bay leaf, tomato sauce, other mexican spices, egg noodles
Detailed Steps to Make the Caldo de Pollo Recipe
Add the chicken to the instant pot, I used boneless skinless chicken breasts .
Add the chicken stock to the instant pot. I used homemade chicken broth, actually bone broth, which I love to make and can.
Cook in the electric pressure cooker on high pressure for 20 minutes. Shred the chicken and add it back to the pot.
Chop up peppers and add to the pot. I used 2 Anaheim, 1 Poblano and 1 Jalapeno. I do not like my mexican soup to be too spicy.
Add fresh cilantro. I put my cilantro in the food processor before adding to the other ingredients.
Chop up the celery and add.
Add the Rotel, juice of fresh lime, a can of green chilis, and a can of green enchilada sauce to the pot. I added my homemade canned rotel.
Add cumin and taco seasoning.
Add rice to the pot. I used long grain rice. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
Release the remaining pressure and remove the lid and serve the deliciously warming soup!
Ready to serve!
This mexican chicken soup recipe makes such a great bowl of soup and then also provides plenty of leftovers, which can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I also freeze individual servings so I can have the hearty soup anytime that I want to eat it! It has so much flavor and includes yummy mexican flavors and is made with plenty of fresh ingredients! The best part is that it is a very healthy recipe and easy recipe! I am trying to eat healthy these days, so will probably make this instant pot chicken soup quite often.
For more of my favorite delicious recipes including easy instant pot recipes, plus posts about other homestead-type activities, such as gardening, canning, and raising chickens, go to my website at www.HawkPointHomestead.com. For updates, please follow my Facebook page at Hawk Point Hobby Homestead.
- 48 oz Chicken Broth
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 bunch of Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Anaheim Peppers, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, chopped
- 1 Poblano Pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks Celery, chopped
- 1 can Rotel or jar of homemade canned rotel
- 1 can of Green Chilis
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 cup of Long Grain Rice
1. Add chicken breasts to the instant pot
2. Add chicken broth
3. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes
4. Chop up the peppers and add to the pot
5. Chop up cilantro and add to the pot
6. Add remaining ingredients
7. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes
Many of the ingredients and amount of ingredients are optional as listed in the post. Any type and amount of peppers can be used and the same with the rice.