One of my new favorite recipes is the white chicken creamy enchilada casserole. It is an awesome comfort food, and so easy to make, especially for busy weeknights. Even a picky eater would love this casserole dish! I like making enchilada casseroles rather than traditional enchiladas, as they seem easier to make and eat. For a traditional enchilada recipe, this one looks pretty yummy.
Reasons to Love this White Chicken Creamy Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- It is easy – my number one requirement!
- Prep time is low
- Very yummy with a creamy white chicken sauce and lots of cheese
- The whole family will love it and will soon become a family favorite
- Great dish to bring to a get together
- Can change it up in many ways, such as adding black beans, or salsa verde
- Good for leftovers the next day
Cooked Chicken – Shredded chicken is the best. I actually use the chicken I have canned myself which makes me happy. I have canned fresh chicken breasts, cooked chicken breasts, whole chickens I have cooked and pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from Sam’s (My favorite). That is a good option also for this recipe is to use shredded rotisserie leftover chicken.
Milk – I used whole milk
Green chilis – Green enchilada sauce or salsa verde can be substituted or added.
Cream of Chicken Soup
Corn or Flour Tortillas – I used Corn Tortillas, I think they are sweeter and sturdier and best for this recipe.
Minced Onion or Onion Powder
Monterey Jack Cheese – Can substitute any cheese, including cheddar, pepper jack cheese, or Mexican cheese
Layer 2 1/2 tortillas on the bottom of a greased 8 x 8 inch baking dish. More tortillas can be used as desired and also a 9 x 9 or larger pan could be used.
Mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl with the exception of the cheese.
Layer the mixture on top of the tortillas.
Add layer of cheese.
Repeat the layers 2 more times using the remaining cheese. Add more cheese on top as preferred. You can’t have too much cheese! Then bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Garnish with black olives or green onions if desired. Serve with salsa and tortilla chips and Mexican rice or any other Mexican food.
This white chicken enchilada casserole is a great recipe and easy meal that is great for regular dinner rotation.
For more of my favorite recipes go to my website at www.HawkPointHomestead.com.
For updates on my website, please follow my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090037458967.
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can green chilis
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 -3 cups monterey jack cheese or other cheese as desired
- 1. Lay 2 1/2 corn tortillas on bottom of 8 x 8 pan (9 x 9 can be used)
- 2. Mix the remaining ingredients with exception of the cheese
- 3. Spread 1/3 of the mixture on top of the tortillas
- 4. Add about 1/2 - 1 cup of cheese on top
- 5. Layer tortillas, mixture and cheese two more times
- 6. Add additional cheese on top as desired
- 7. Cook at 350 degrees for 40 minutes