This easy zucchini relish recipe for canning is a great way to use the abundance of zucchini from your garden. Zucchini seems to come in fast and furious and grows overnight. Here is my first harvest from my garden this year.
I picked almost the same amount the next day.
This is such a delicious recipe! I was so surprised the first time I made it and how delicious it was. It is also great for gifts. Who would not love a jar of homemade zucchini relish made from fresh zucchini from your garden. It is great for hot dogs and hamburgers of course, but also for potato salad, tuna salad, chicken salad and egg salad. The sweet zucchini relish recipe is also yummy added to different pasta dishes.
- 10 cups Shredded Zucchini – The great thing about the zucchini relish recipe is that you can use the huge zucchinis that always hide in your garden. About 4 medium zucchini equals 10 cups.
- 4 Peppers – Any bell peppers can be used, but the orange, yellow and red bell pepper make it colorful. I used all three colors. For a spicy relish hot peppers could also be added.
- 2 large Onions – Any type of onions can be used. I used sweet onion.
- 5 Tbsp Salt – I used canning salt.
- 3 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 cups White Sugar
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Celery Seed
- 1 tsp Ground mustard seed – Can also use dry mustard.
- 1 tsp Turmeric
Steps in Preparing to Can Zucchini Relish
The first step is to shred the zucchini, peppers and onions with a food processor and add to a large bowl.
Mix the shredded vegetables together thoroughly.
Add 5 Tablespoons of canning salt to the zucchini mixture and mix thoroughly.
Cover the bowl and let sit at room temperature for 8 to 10 hours or refrigerate overnight.
Place mixture in strainer/colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
Drain very well, pushing the mixture with a big spoon or even squeeze with your hands to get as much liquid out as possible.
Place the mixture in a large stockpot and add sugar, vinegar and remaining ingredients.
Stir thoroughly, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
Canning the Zucchini Relish
Spoon the hot mixture into jars using a canning funnel. Leave a 1/2 inch headspace. This recipe made 5 pint jars.
Remove air bubbles and wipe the rims and add the lids and screw bands.
Add the canning jars to the hot water bath and process at a full rolling boil for 15 minutes. I use the Ball electric water bath canner and love it.
Remove the hot jars from the boiling water bath with a jar lifter and place them on a dish towel on the counter. Do not disturb for 24 hours.
This great recipe is such a great way to use extra zucchini from your garden!
Enjoy this delicious relish on hamburgers and hot dogs, plus in potato, tuna, chicken or egg salad!!
For more of my canning recipes and other favorite great recipes, plus posts about other homestead-type activities, such as gardening and raising chickens, go to my website at www.HawkPointHomestead.com. For updates, please follow my Facebook page at Hawk Point Hobby Homestead.
Some links are affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- 10 cups of shredded zucchini
- 4 bell peppers (different colors are best)
- 2 onions
- 5 Tbsp canning salt
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp dry mustard or mustard seed
- Shred the zucchini, peppers and onions in a food processor.
- Place in a large bowl and add salt
- Mix well, cover and let sit at room temperature for 8 to 10 hours or refrigerate overnight.
- Rinse thoroughly in a strainer, remove as much liquid as possible.
- Place the mixture in a large stockpot and add remaining ingredients
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place in canning jars, remove air bubbles, wipe rims and add lids.
- Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.
- Remove jars and let sit for 24 hours.